Blood Pressure - Hypertension Disease Problem Causes Symptoms Treatment As Per Ayurveda And Traditional Healing Methods
What is Hypertension / Blood Pressure ?
Definition of Hypertension:
Hypertension is also known as high blood pressure, lateral pressure is exerted on the walls of blood vessels. When the systemic arterial blood pressure gets elevated, the normal condition is called hypertension or high blood pressure.
As per Ayurveda, the nomenclature “hypertension” is controversial to some extent, but its signs and symptoms can be understood in the terms of dosh, dushya, strotas etc. It is a disease of flow (gati). Vitiated vata dosha is the dominant cause of hypertension as vata describes gati. Pitta and kapha compliments the effect of vitiated vata and support the progress of the disease with rasa and rakta as mediator. It is considered as Vata pradhan tridoshaj vyadhi, and can be influenced by mana also; so hypertension is manas (psychic) as well physical disease.
Causes of Hypertension:
- Age: with increase in age risk of hypertension increases
- Eating habits: overeating habit, excessive intake of salty, spicy, sour, astringent taste and oily food regular. intake of large amount of alcohol, irregular meal habits
- Lifestyle: lack of exercise, physical activity, over exertion, stress, smoking, irregular sleep or long term sleep deprivation
- Family history
Symptoms of Hypertension:
Most of the time there are no or minimum symptoms. People get to know about it during regular check ups while some come with the following signs and symptoms:
- Blurring of vision
- Heaviness in the chest, palpitations.
Treatment of Hypertension as per Traditional Healing Methods:
Hypertension becomes a chronic disease if not treated early. It is best to treat from its root cause. Ayurveda gives knowledge of healthy life and the way of living it ,so it is the best way to treat disease from its root and live a happy healthy life. If not cured it may cause various complications such as cardiac disease, kidney failure, stroke, epistaxis, oedema, dyspnea etc.
Treatment of hypertension includes panchakarma, aushadhi and manas treatment according to vitiated dosha dushya:
- Panchakarma : Hypertension is a vata pradhan tridoshaj vyadhi accordingly the treatment will design from abhyang chikitsa, shodhan chikitsa, basti chikitsa, raktamokshan chikitsa, nasyam, shirodhara , hrudbasti, etc followed by aushadhi chikitsa.
- Aushadhi chikitsa: Various preparations such as ghrit, vati, churnas, decoctions are used as per dosh, dushya, sthan, srotas.
- Manas chikitsa: Shirodhara, shiropichu, meditation, stress relieving karmas, pranayama
- Diet and lifestyle management: Avoid salty, spicy, oily food, avoid overeating
- Regular exercise, yoga, pranayama practice or physical activities as brisk walking, jogging, swimming, cycling, etc
- Discontinue bad habits as smoking, alcohol consumption
- Go to bed early have ample of sound Sleep
- Regular meditation practice
- Pacify manas vikrut bhavas as jealousy, anger, envy, stress, fear etc.