Diabetes Mellitus (Madhumeha) – Disease Problem Causes Symptoms Treatment As Per Ayurveda And Traditional Healing Methods
Diabetes Mellitus (Madhumeha)
Diabetes is a growing problem in India as well as in the world. India is deemed as the world’s capital of diabetes. Diabetes and its complications are the big hazards to the human being. It is a metabolic disorder. The disease occur when there is high blood sugar (hyperglycemia) in the body which may result due to absence or insufficient production of insulin or an inability of the body to utilise or absorb the insulin.
In ayurveda, diabetes is termed as Madhumeha which is the type of Vataj Prameha. Prameha means excess urine frequency.The word literally defined as “pra + meha”
प्रमेह -प्रकर्षेण मेहति क्षरति वीर्य्यादिरनेनेति ….श.क.द्रु
It means excess urination, increased frequency to pass urine and urine excretion excretes kleda from the body which makes it more turbid so excretion of excess ‘kleda yukta mutra’ i. e turbid urine is called Prameha.
It is a tridoshaj vyadhi with dhatu, updhatu, strotas and mala involvement. In this disease, excess kleda(body fluid/ water part of the body) is formed due to vitiation of kapha, pitta and vata dosha along with rasa , rakta, mamsa, meda, lasika, majja, ojus which results in dhatu shaithilya and excess kleda production which is thrown out of the body in the form of urine by kidneys (mutravaha srotas).
Cause Of Diabetes:
- Sahaja – juvenile or congenital
- Kulaja – strong family history.
- Apathyaja- not favorable
- Food- excessive intake of sweet, sour, sticky, oily, cold, fermented food, over eating
- Newly cultivated crops as cereals, pulses. Red meat, jaggery, liquid diet, yoghurt, saturated fatty soups etc.
- Lifestyle – sitting jobs, irregular sleeping habits- includes timing like sleeping during day time or incorrect posture on uneven mattress, lack of workout or exercises, laziness.
Pre Monitoring Symptoms:
Some symptoms that can be seen in early phases of the disease or pre diabetic condition are:
- Increase accumulation of dirt in nails, hair, eyes, ears
- Burning sensation on palms and soles
- Sweet taste in the mouth
- Feeling of Greasiness on the body
- Insect like ant sticking near urine after urination
- Polyuria (excess urine output)
- Polydipsia (excessive thirst)
- Polyphagia (excessive hunger )
- Weight loss or obesity
- Non healing wounds
- Visual impairment
- Turbid urine
Complications may occur due to Diabetes
- Cardiovascular Disease (Cardiac Risk)
- Nerve Damage (Neuropathy)
- Kidney Damage (Nephropathy)
- Eye Damage (Retinopathy)
- Foot Damage
- Skin Conditions
- Hearing Impairment
- Alzheimer’s Disease
Management Of Diabetes Mellitus
Being a metabolic disease, the treatment differs with the type of patient as obese and weak called as ‘sthul pramehi’ and ‘krush pramehi’ respectively.
For ‘sthul pramehi’ (obese patient), aptarpan treatment is suggested, which includes:
- Weight loss by diet, exercise, medicines
- Lagu aahara (fasting)
- Cleansing therapies as detoxifying /shodhana karma
- Physical exercises.
For ‘krush pramehi’ (lean patient),santarpan is suggested, which includes:
- Branghnan (tonics)-nutritious healthy diet to increase stamina and vitality
- Yoga training and lifestyle management.
Diabetes in acute or pre diabetic condition is easy to reverse the pathology, but if ignored may lead to various complications as well as it becomes difficult to treat. Therefore,in order to avoid such disorders regular seasonal detoxifying treatment, different exercises and yoga asanas ,stress free life and regular screening of the body becomes very important.Ayurveda science is all about the way of living life, which if followed keeps you healthy. ‘ Healthy mind in healthy a body’- AMCT’s Ayurvedic Treatment Centers are the way to prove it true. A healthy mind,healthy body connection is the key to a much happier life. Find your key of happiness in soothing and calm AMCT’s environment.